Re: Round two mPlayer

On 10/15/05, Brian Keefe <bkeefe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got some helping hands to look at this too.  We agree.  We don't know
> what to do about it though.
>
> Can you give any more hints/help/site visit, maybe a new laptop?
>
> All kidding aside we don't know what to do about the indirect rendering.
>
> Returning from Windows, as I am, I am constantly running into minor
> problems that although minor are show stoppers for 30 minutes to and
> hour at a time.  My latest was that mplayer would not permit me to eject
> the dvd tray to change movies.  Pushing the hardware button on the tray
> hand no effect.  I could not find an eject function on the gui.  It
> wasn't until I thought of opening the terminal and issuing 'eject' from
> the prompt that I could eject the tray, that or a restart.
>
> I am having to relearn the idea of the terminal as the court of last
> resort.  I am constantly having to have an internal dialog along the
> lines of "You're just learning the system.  Don't be comparing with the
> ease of Windows.  It is just that you KNOW Windows that it seems
> better." A lot of times I'm not convincing myself.
>
> I don't understand the concept of supplying all these redundant
> partially working programs.  I think that maybe Fedora Core was a bad
> choice.  I was reading somewhere that FC was supposed to be the bleeding
> edge.  If I would have known that I would have chosen something else.
>
> I had Mandrake.  It seemed better, more stable, a little cleaner. But,
> Mandriva??  What's up with that?   I think that I will try Ubuntu next
> if I reformat this system.
>
> end rant.
>
> Thanks for the help thus far.  Any additional will be appreciated.
>
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 17:43 -0500, Neil Birchler wrote:
> > On Oct 12, 2005, at 1:02 AM, Brian Keefe wrote:
> >
> > *snip*
> > > OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
> > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> > *end snip*
> >
> > I don't think you have the ATI driver set up right. It's not using
> > hardware rendering.
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
> > "unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.

Not to start some type of distro war, but I've heard a few people rave
over SuSe, especially on laptops. OpenSuSe 10 has been released, and
is freely available via ftp, or Torrent. I know it leaves out some
commercial programs that SuSe Pro includes, but it's free and may be
worth your effort, if you decide to do a reinstall.

GS