Re: Round two mPlayer -- basic UNIX/Linux (and MacOS) approaches

Amen, You are preaching to the choir here. Well done.

Steve
----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Keefe
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: Round two mPlayer -- basic UNIX/Linux (and MacOS) approaches
<huge snippage>

. I can't tell you how many times I have heard something like this come out of his mouth, "I just don't understand how linux thinks it is going to gain any sort of serious market share if a user has to do all this arcane tinkering in config files and compiling of kernel modules. How is an average user supposed to know how to do this??"

It is easy to get frustrated by all the little problems that comes with a standard installation of Linux. If you don't know what I am talking about, try installing Linux on your parent's or spouse's machine without making any modifications. Let them live on it for a while and see how pissed off they get when they can't watch a news video on CNN.com and can't figure out how to fix it. They aren't going to want to read a 200 page manual on mplayer, they just want it to work.

<really huge snippage>