Re: OK seems as though the interest is here

You touched on a very important point and I want to learn too.   When we first started this LUG,  most everyone agreed that we should consider how Linux may be used in a real world environment --- not just to "play with".

I recommend the meetings be composed of "Hands On How Tos" of task such as:

1.    Using Linux as a file server (using Samba).
2.    Using Linux as a print server.
3.    Using Linux as a web server (using Apache).
4.    Using Linux as a FTP server.
5.    Using Linux as a Telnet server.
6.    Using Linux as an Application server.
7.    Using Linux as a Development Environment.
8.    Setting up network.
9.    Any other practical use where Linux can be used in a real world environment.

Again, the above should be "hands on" which means someone must commit to bringing systems to the meetings.

I believe this is the type of knowledge most expect from our LUG.  Armed with this knowledge,  we will find practical uses for Linux in our workplaces and the number of Linux users will grow.

Have I missed the boat or is there others that feel the same way?

Please weigh-in on this issue.  What is the consensus of the LUG?

Larry Downs