Re: OK seems as though the interest is here

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Steve wrote:

> Kara you mentioned something about beta testing? Hmm? :)

Hmn, depends on the context. I have several issues revolving "beta
testing" and Linux certification that i could have been referring to. heh.

LPI's beta testing periods are over.

As for beta testing this internal LUG program...

1) I see discussion from people, but not all saying "I'll come". Someone
needs to collate a list of those people who will come (not just interested
in discussing it). That will determine the size needs for the meeting
location.

2) From these people, determine the best night for meeting, and how
often. I vote for pretty much any night other than Tuesday. Thursdays are
rough too though. I have 2-4th Mondays, all Wednesdays (theoretically),
1,2,4th Thursdays (sorta), all Friday-Saturday-Sundays (though Fr/Sat
would not be fun, IMO).

3) Who is going to lead this? Steve (not my husband) is definitely pushing
this topic. Randy? Me? Should we rotate? I think multi-interest would be
good.

4) Schedule. How quickly do we want to push through the tracks? What kind
of graduate date do you want to see? There are 14 topics between the two
exams for LPI level 1. Within these 14 topics are 60 topics, each of which
could easily consume a meeting each! If you think you should pace things
for a year, you could cover a topic a month (two per month for the smaller
topics). And not rush things to the point that people can't just jump in
later in the program and keep up. That's one exam every six months
(graduation goal, if you chose to go that route). Probably one in 4 mos,
and the other in 8, knowing the objective differences. This can be covered
effectively with meetings twice a month (average length) or once a month
(compelementing current LUG meeting) with lots of data, possibly a longer
meeting. So, in short, we need to figure out what you want to do there
;) I think a special meeting once a month outside of the LUG meeting, and
then a quick tutorial at the beginning of the regular meetings would plan
nicely, and keep everyone involved.

5) Plan for growth. What happens if we get lots of people interested. Do
we start multiple tracks, do we have bigger places with hands on equipment
available? Do we want to advertise? How big do you want to go?

6) Can we answer all these questions before Demo Day on November 11th? :)

Author, RHCE Exam Cram
Linux Evangelist                        kara@linuxgruven.com
Asst Dir for Program Development        kara@lpi.org