Re: Ubuntu v. Fedora (overall)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 01:15:42PM -0600, Scott Duensing wrote:
> Personally, I like Debian/Ubuntu.  Fedora tries to be too much like
> Windows for my tastes.

Wow, I don't even begin to see where anyone would make that comparison.

I'm trying not to do any Fedora advocacy here (which, being a Fedora
developer and all, is difficult for me), but please do keep in mind that
a fairly large chunk of stuff in *every* distribution is written by Red
Hat employees and Fedora volunteers...  As an example, here's an old
breakdown of who and what company contributed to the 2.6.20 kernel:

 http://lwn.net/Articles/222773/

Note that Red Hat is at the top of the list of employers...

There are lots of other examples that I'd be happy to go into at the
next LUG meeting.  I'll save my rabid advocacy for then.  ;-)

> Also, for some odd reason, RPM hates me.  :-)

I can buy that.  A lot of us feel the same way about dpkg.  (But not
apt...  We like apt.)

(618)624-4440             | See web site for meeting details.