Re: Installing software without a package manager

i am with koree on this one, it all depends upon what you are
installing, there is a package for it, if you have that package
installed, and how you install it from tarball

i have set up boxes using fcX as a base (minimal install + yum update +
developer tools) and then never use the packages again except to update
the kernel or to install some development lib. on these boxes all public
facing services get built from source.

i also have some boxes that have services installed which dont have
packages from mainline, always install them somewhere under
/usr/local/servicename so as to interfere as little as possible with
anything installed from packages.  these boxes are pretty much installed
only from packages except for stuff i needed a tarball build for.  i
suppose i could bother learning to properly build a .spec and make a
proper .rpm but usually it isnt something important enough or popular
enough to bother with that.

while i agree that having 3rd party stuff installed can make debugging a
problem harder, i dont submit bug requests when i am using a product out
of spec either.

Casey