Installing software without a package manager

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:55:36AM -0600, NZG wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 7:04 pm, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 06:16:45PM -0600, hbrhodes wrote:
> > > i went to nvidia.com, and downloaded the appropriate shell script (or
> > > whatever it was).
> >
> > *DO NOT* install the nvidia drivers direct from nvidia.com unless you
> > want to royally screw up your Fedora system.
>
> Really? I admit that I don't know much about Fedora specifically, but this
> works wonderfully on Debian systems, which are certainly less popular than RH
> I'm suprised if NVIDIA doesn't release RPM's.

I think you missed my point.  Installing *any* software without using
your distribution's package management system is a Bad Idea.  Once
you've installed something, nvidia drivers, perl modules straight from
CPAN, anything using autopackage, whatever, you've compromised the
integrity of your system.  Sooner or later, you *will* have problems
as a result.

Package managers are one of the things that make modern Linux (and
some other Unix) systems so wonderfully managable.  In this case, I
also think it is a lot easier to install the nvidia stuff from
rpm.livna.org instead of straight from nvidia.com, but that's just a
bonus...

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.