Re: failed dependcies

Steven Pritchard wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 02:54:36PM -0500, Casey Boone wrote:
>

>>ive been having strange problems with /dev/* permissions with fc4, but i
>>havent managed to put a finger on exactly what causes it
>>

>Hard telling.  Check /etc/udev.

will do.  the problem is that permissions in /dev/ somehow got set to
where noone but root had access to things like null, random, urandom,
etc....  with no software running on the box except a minimal install of
fc4 + yum update + yum groupinstall development tools (and i dont think
it was owned as it is behind a heavily paranoid firewall)

>>and the more i use selinux the more i HATE selinux (such as warn mode
>>not really meaning warn mode)
>>

>SELinux is a great concept, but I will freely admit that it is *badly*
>broken in FC4, even in permissive mode.
>
>  sed -i -e 's/^\(SELINUX=\).*/\1disabled/' /etc/selinux/config

actually i have had selinux disabled in that file and it still cause
problems (which blows me away, as my selinux book insists that it is
equivalent to selinux=0 on the kernel command line... except in practice
it isnt)

>>but i usually just fix by hand the problems and keep using it.
>>

>Remember to report the problems to bugzilla.redhat.com, or they will
>probably still be there in FC5.

i would except i have no idea what exactly caused the problems i have
ran into so i wouldnt know where exactly to place the blame.

Casey