Re: Windowmaker Question

H> "xinit /usr/bin/wmaker"

N> My method would've allowed you to use just "startx" to get into your
N> session, but hey.

My method is convenient for me because I can easily select from
multiple WMs.

     xinit /usr/bin/wmaker # of course, I have aliases in ~/.bashrc
     xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox
     xinit /usr/bin/icewm
     xinit /usr/bin/startkde
     xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session
     startxfce # smart script! Launches X if not already running!

N> The reason the lines are like that is because of how X11 manages a
N> session.  The last line that isn't backgrounded is generally the process
N> that determines whether or not the whole session stays alive.  All of
N> the other processes that are backgrounded are the ones that can die
N> without causing the entire ship to sink, as it were.

Backgrounded !?!?!?  I think that I'm about to learn something here,
and I bet it has something to do with that ampersand.  Keep talking;
I'm listening.

N> That isn't really the way I'd go about doing it; editing a system-wide
N> script or any sort of system-wide configuration to fit a single user's
N> liking.  And, *ahem*, a couple of you are guilty of this from what I've
N> seen. :)

Point taken.  I am the only user on this machine and the concept of
configuring for multiple "lusers" never crossed my mind.  ;-)

N> Anyway, since you're doing things this way, you could've gone ahead and
N> edited $HOME/.xinitrc to have these lines:
N>
N>     #!/bin/sh
N>
N>     /usr/bin/xfce4-panel & # my example, yours will differ
N>     exec /usr/bin/wmaker

I'll ponder this tomorrow.  My brain just shut down for the day.  :-(