Re: Windowmaker Question

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:37:14PM -0500, Harold Crouch wrote:
>      "xinit /usr/bin/wmaker"

My method would've allowed you to use just "startx" to get into your
session, but hey.

> /usr/bin/wmaker is shell script, and I received an e-mail a little
> while ago advising me that the last line of the script is probably
> something like "exec wmaker" and I should insert
> "/usr/bin/panelname &" as the next-to-last line.  ?!?!?!
> Call the panel and *then* call the WM?  Doesn't sound
> kosher to me. But, I tried it and it works!  Now when I launch
> Windowmaker, I have panel at the bottom of my screen.  :-)

I'm going to explain the line order first before I go and become a
puritan about things and give the whole disclaimer about voiding the
nonexistant warranty and what have you.

The reason the lines are like that is because of how X11 manages a
session.  The last line that isn't backgrounded is generally the process
that determines whether or not the whole session stays alive.  All of
the other processes that are backgrounded are the ones that can die
without causing the entire ship to sink, as it were.

<section name="multi-user system puritanism">

That isn't really the way I'd go about doing it; editing a system-wide
script or any sort of system-wide configuration to fit a single user's
liking.  And, *ahem*, a couple of you are guilty of this from what I've
seen. :)

Anyway, since you're doing things this way, you could've gone ahead and
edited $HOME/.xinitrc to have these lines:

    #!/bin/sh

    /usr/bin/xfce4-panel & # my example, yours will differ
    exec /usr/bin/wmaker

And that wouldn't instill the need for other users on your system who
choose to use wmaker to run a panel or whatever other cruft you opt to
throw in there because it'll be in your environment and in your section
of the filesystem.

</section>

--
Nathaniel Reindl, freelance tech support monkey and college student
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 on an AMD Opteron 240