Re: Mid-sized companies not interested in Linux - report

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:46 -0500, Aaron Kenney wrote:
> Unfortunately I am only permitted to report directly to my director,

Well, that's just "chain of command" which is understandable.

> so a sales pitch usually gets wasted, as this particular person seems to be
> the one who has the problem with change. He is also himself very
> "Microcentric".

Well, at least you have the documentation to show to others if they ask
for it, or a future employer/client.

> What exactly is "base technology"? Like saying that Exchange does email
> and schedule sharing?

Beyond even that, what Exchange actually does and doesn't do.  It's
basically an Access database with an old Mail API (MAPI) interface
(newer versions have more RPC capabilities) and client-side scheduling.
I break it all down into what it does and doesn't do.  Many MCSEs are
even mega-ignorant on what Exchange actually doesn't do.

There are far better solutions for the price that do full server-side
scheduling, and support synchronization outside of Outlook.  Even
SKYRiX/OpenGroupware.ORG is vastly superior for scheduling/shared
folders, but there are better solutions from a commercial support
standpoint.

> Those two concepts alone would sell Exchange in our company.
> Sure I can probably come up with something that is free
> using GNU that does the same, but I would unfortunately be fired for
> taking the time to put it together.

Do it on your own then.  That's what I do.

> In the company I work for, time is even more important than money.

As always.

> It seems like everyone is so rushed, but that's because we have a
> Netware admin as a director and a hacker as a network admin.

Just remember, there is always a reason he is in his position.
Regardless of the merit, there is always a reason.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
Community software is all about choice, choice of technology.