Re: Mid-sized companies not interested in Linux - report

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 09:12 -0500, Aaron Kenney wrote:
> Unfortunately, within the organization I work in, the director shoots
> down any concept that isn't his own, or that he isn't familiar with,
> Linux or not.

Then you make it seem like his own decision.  I'm the type of person
that is "against the grain," but when I'm in with a client, I'm the
client's biggest fan and I word everything like they know what they are
doing.

It's the best way to get things done, and every now and then I get them
to do exactly what they should.

> Since all he knows is Novell and FoxPro (DOS), this really gets annoying.

Right there buddy!  Novell!

Novell is back in the black (finally shedding their former UNIX
solutions and other costly offerings), and focused on Linux better than
I've seen any commercial company since Red Hat.  You need to be
introducing Novell-SuSE solutions, start with the SuSE 9.2 DVD which is
freely redistributable.

> I think he's just worried about not being able to control the system himself
> if for some reason he were forced to fire his limited staff of 2
> people.

Then get him interested in Novell Open Enterprise Server.  He understand
the Novell services, everything else will come with that.

> Linux isn't even really conceivable here for this reason,

It's the future of Novell, and they're moving everything towards it.

> which is why I have to mess with it at home.  It would probably
> be safer to develop everything this company needs on my own time, wait
> until I am comfortable enough with my finances to leave, then turn
> around and sell the solutions to them.

Check your contract.  You have to be careful.

But if you're contract is free of an Inventions policy, or limited in
its focus, then yeah, that's what a lot of people do.  And I can't blame
them either.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
Community software is all about choice, choice of technology.