Re: Mid-sized companies not interested in Linux - report

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 08:59 -0500, Aaron Kenney wrote:

> Being in a company like this is a dead end. There is no reason for the
> company to grow any larger, since there is a steady flow of profits and
> only high-risk beyond the current structure. However, this produces
> little to no opportunity for myself, and doesn't promote the betterment
> of my professional skills one bit. The only reason I stay here is to
> make money so that I can continue to experiment with various
> technologies on my own time.

I started small.  Anytime the company wanted to upgrade a windows server
that is not integrated into Active Directory I tried to replace it with
a Linux box.  Now all of our perimeter servers run Linux. (DNS, Mailing
list, SMTP gateway, etc.)  Once the company saw how well they worked
I've been able to move a few internal servers as well.

The main thing is to make sure Linux fits the roll and integrates
seamlessly.  If your boss is worried about Linux, the last thing you
need is the first server to cause problems.

--
Joe Tosetti, RHCT
Network Administrator