A(uto)mounting we shall try to go... syntax not right

Hey folks,

I've been manually mounting a directory on my Red Hat 8.0 Linux box to a NT
4 file server (running as a PDC.) I can manually mount, like so:

mount   -t   smbfs   -o   username=bob    //herman/herman_e   /mnt/q

where there's a user on the PDC named bob and the file server itself is
named herman, and I'm mounting to a directory on my Linux box named /mnt/q.

Ok, next step is to make this happen everytime I turn my Linux box on. I've
been poking around with automount and autofs. Read the man page for autofs
and several 'tutorials' on the web, including Rahul Sundaram's apparently
master HOWTO.

All of the examples I've been able to find refer to floppies, cdroms and
zipdrives. So I'm trying the Next Best Thing: making logical guesses. First
time I set up /etc/auto.master like so:

/misc    /etc/auto.misc    --timeout 60

and /etc/auto.misc like so:

/mnt/q     -smbfs      //herman/herman_e

And 'nothing happened' upon reboot. So then I read a little further and saw
that the first parm in auto.master should be the location for all mount
points, so I changed it to /mnt, like so:

/mnt    /etc/auto.misc     --timeout 60

Stopped and started autofs. Well, interestingly enough.... not only did this
not work, but it also blew away /mnt/q. Weird.

Obviously I'm missing something, but so far I've not found anything to
explain how to use automount with a remote drive.

Ideas? Thanks....

Whil