RE: respin question please

Hi, Everett,

RedHat put the .iso images of RH 7.0 up on their ftp servers (and mirrors) some
time ago.  Evidently, there were some (ahem!) "problems" with it.  The big
problem appears to be a program which starts up when the machine is booted...
sorry, I can't remember the details off the top of my head.  <somebody else feel
free to fill us all in>

Anyway... not too many weeks later, RedHat put some NEW images on the ftp
servers which had the word "respin" in the file names (i.e., the ".iso" files).
I thought that was cute.  "Hey boss, I made a mistake, let's respin it!"  8-)

I'm not sure where that leaves you with the version you bought at Best Buy.
Someone more in the know than I may be able to tell you what command to type to
see if you've got the version with the problem.

=======

I agree... I'd love to hear how to get ipchains to work.  I bought a cable
modem/router and I'm betting I could have had the same functionality on my Linux
box for a lot less $$$.

=======

To mount a drive on your Windows machine, I use the Samba package.  It's a GREAT
package.  I use it to make my Linux box appear like a Windows NT 4.0 file/print
server to my Windows machines.  Very cool.

(1) Share the drive -- or whatever folder you'd like -- on the Windows machine.
	Let's say that you give it a share name of "fred".
(2) Create a directory for the drive to map to.  Perhaps you'll call it "fred".
	mkdir /mnt/fred
(3) Use the Samba mount command, like...
	smbmount //mywindowsmachine/fred /mnt/fred
(4) While it's mounting, you'll be asked for a password.
	Just hit <enter>.  The high security of Windows will
	basically just yawn and let you in.
(5) Take a peek at your Windows machine from your Linux box.
	cd /mnt/fred
	ls

It's just that simple.  Forgive me if I screwed up the syntax of
the smbmount command.  I'm at work in a Windows world.

Regards,
Charlie  8-)