Re: respin question please

Brune, Charlie said:
> RedHat put the .iso images of RH 7.0 up on their ftp servers (and
> mirrors) some time ago.  Evidently, there were some (ahem!) "problems"
> with it.  The big problem appears to be a program which starts up when
> the machine is booted...  sorry, I can't remember the details off the
> top of my head.  <somebody else feel free to fill us all in>

Apparently the "Red Hat Network" daemon (rhnsd) would use up all file
descriptors and crash a running box after around 3 weeks.  (At least,
that's what I remember.)  Not to mention there was at least one remote
root exploitable hole.

I would suggest just grabbing all of the updates and applying them.
There are lots of other fixes in the updates, even if you don't need
the new up2date package.  If you've got the disk, just do this:

    mkdir rh7-updates
    cd rh7-updates
    ncftpget ftp://ftp.silug.org/pub/redhat/updates/7.0/i386/\*
    rpm -Fvh *.rpm

Then either reboot or go to single-user mode ("init 1") and back (just
exit that shell, IIRC, otherwise either "init 3" or "init 5").

BTW, if anyone is interested, I hear Red Hat 7 for Alpha is going to
be released next week.

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.