Re: Preparing for zfs filesystem

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 18:08 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 19:22 -0500, Casey Boone wrote:
> > You will need to destroy the raid with mdadm or write 0s to the
> > beginning and end of each drive.  Information on the raid assembly is
> > written on each member
>
> What utility or service read those drives and reconstucted the RAID5
> array by itself ??

Steve answered my question by saying there may be array info still
written in the initrd.

Now, will someone please tell me the syntax for zeroing the superblocks?
The *!@#$? mdadm man page says to use --zero-superblock, but it doesn't
give any hint or example of how it's used:

# mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb
mdadm: Couldn't open /dev/sdb for write - not zeroing

# mdadm --force --zero-superblock /dev/sdb
mdadm: --force does not set the mode, and so cannot be the first option.

# mdadm misc --force --zero-superblock /dev/sdb
mdadm: --force does not set the mode, and so cannot be the first option.

# mdadm misc --zero-superblock --force /dev/sdb
mdadm: No action given for misc in --misc mode
       Action options must come before device names

# mdadm --zero-superblock --force misc /dev/sdb
mdadm: Couldn't open misc for write - not zeroing
mdadm: Unrecognised md component device - /dev/sdb

I need to zero /dev/sdb thru /dev/sdj.

--Doc