Re: Boot problem

This is also my advice. I learned this the hard way when wicd on Ubuntu just stopped working, and I got caught in a snafu of needing to be online to reinstall it, and not being able to get online due to it not working.

So my advice is to go live cd, back up what you need to a usb disk, then nuke the system, and put a dedicated /home partition up instead of leaving home on the root partition when you reinstall ubuntu.

I don't remember having that problem when upgrading to maverick though, but I THINK I just did a fresh install vs. using update manager.

That would also be part of my advice as well, is when you upgrade to new versions of ubuntu, do a fresh install from a cd. I have never had a network update for ubuntu versions go right. Only time I did was on a fresh install of gutsy, and updated straight to hardy. Its a PITA with having to reinstall programs, but saves you the frustration when things are broken. And having the dedicated /home partition will make that easier too.