Re: OT: Job/Internship/Apprenticeship/volunteering seeker

On Feb 3, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Sean Abbott wrote:
> I really want to learn more about linux, and have in the past found
> that the fastest way to learn is by solving problems...other
> peoples problems being as good or better than your own.  With that
> in mind, I am looking for any opportunity to help/apprentice/
> volunteer for anyone for any reason where I could learn linux
> sysadmin or software design.
>
> I have a BA in computer science, I work as a comm officer at scott,
> and I have a couple of years of being a (windows) PC Tech under my
> belt.
>
> Feel free to email me off list if there is anything I can do for you.

If you would like to volunteer, ByteWorks could use the help:

   http://bworks.org/

ByteWorks takes donated machines, refurbishes them, installs
software, and gives them to kids (4th-8th grade) who have gone
through the Earn-A-Computer program.  Currently, they are installing
MS Windows and related application software.  But that is being
phased out for a number of reasons in favor of Linux.

However, most of the volunteers are unfamiliar with Linux and so they
need folks that can help them install and troubleshoot the systems as
well as train other volunteers.  If that kind of help is to your
liking, I would encourage you and anyone else that is interested to
sign up to their mailing list:

They are located in the Shaw neighborhood of Saint Louis and are open
tomorrow from 10am-1pm (possibly later, depending on how busy they are):

   http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bworks+63110

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask on this list or
contact me directly.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent