Re: Verizon DSL->WIFI Security

At 12:41 AM 12/8/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>This is a very good explanation of what it is and I thank you for the
>reply. Off the top of your head, can you think of a good URL that gives
>detailed instructions on the subject? I have a D-Link router and have
>setup a DMZ on my least important PC but still the idea of having my local
>network more secure interests me greatly. @:D>

Stan,

There aren't any detailed instructions that I know of, as there are simply
too many nuances to fit into a simple HOWTO.

In general, secure MS networking should be done via NetBEUI, .. turning OFF
'NetBios over TCP/IP'. There can be issues, however - what if you want to
share a folder over wireless? Can't be done without TCP/IP, unfortunately.

MS file sharing is so risky that if you CAN live within a single subnet,
you're far better off going NetBEUI. If you need files outside your subnet
(i.e. across a router), I would recommend scp.

         Lee