Re: Verizon DSL->WIFI Security

At 10:13 AM 12/6/2005 -0600, you wrote:
> > the only other big caveat is to USE the security on your WiFi unless you
> > want the neighbor's script kiddie sufing porn on your connection.
>I've had some problems getting my Belkin to play nice with the other router
>when I turn on it's security features.

That can be an issue - some routers and cards don't share the same 'key
generation' procedures. For example, many of the newer cards allow you to
use a 'key phrase', while most routers more than a couple of years old only
take a raw key (or vice versa).

>A friend of mine suggested just restricting IP addresses to the known MAC
>addresses of my house on my main router.
>What do you think?

Using MAC addresses will allow access security, of course, by preventing an
outsider from using your router, .. but it doesn't encrypt the traffic.
This would permit anyone using a sniffer to see your network traffic!

The best solution is to use both, really.

         Lee