Re: [OT] DVD Burners

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:21 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> a) It is cheap (pretty much the cheapest thing we can get OEM with all
>    the Windows software).

Being a small shop, I can understand that.

> b) We've had good luck with Samsung drives (optical and otherwise).
> Mine has worked fine with k3b or growisofs (what k3b seems to be
> using).

Using DVD+R or DVD-R media?  Or both now?

> I've had some issues with cdrecord, but I wrote that off as
> some combination of old firmware and crappy PCI Promise IDE
> controller.  Since growisofs works fine, I haven't taken the time to
> figure out what the problem (which I only had once, BTW) was.
> (Laziness is a virtue, right?  ;-)

I really need to write a FAQ.

Long story short, growisofs and the dvd+rw-rools are great for data.
After all, that's what DVD+RW (and, later, DVD+R) were designed for.
I know they now support DVD-R too, which is great.

For maximum media longevity (as well as player compatibility), you
really want to use the raw interfaces with byte-by-byte record.  That's
where CDRecord comes in, and why DVD-R will always be more compatible
than DVD+R.  Especially for DVD-Video.

Again, I really need to write a FAQ.  A lot of people get "religious"
when talking the Pioneer/Matsushita DVD Consortium v. the Sony/Philips
DVD+RW Consortium, but the LG drives make it a no-brainer, since they
support _all_ formats, and work with about every piece of Linux software
out there.

> We always appreciate that.  :-)

No problem.  I probably should have called you when I upgraded my
current system.  Then again, I was in Las Vegas at the time, and Cali
was 1 state away (meaning shipping took a day).

But now that I'm here, I'll definitely call you'all first.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith@ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you