Re: Power supply tolerances (SOLVED)

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:52 -0500, Aaron Kenney wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 20:58 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> >

> >>Going through my dad's Microtel again, and I've found something that
> >>just might be significant. From the BIOS's Hardware Monitor & Misc Setup
> >>screen:
> >>+ 3.300V                  :+3.296 V
> >>+ 5.000V                  :+4.811 V
> >>+12.000V                  :+12.032 V
> >>5VSB                      :+4.838 V
> >>Does the +5V rail look a bit anemic to anyone?
> >>

> >Yes.  It's a good sign the +5V line might be trying to draw more current
> >than the power supply is rated for, hence why Voltage is dropping.
> >Of course, it's still within 5%, so it could just be a crappy PS too.
> >
> Agreed. I would tend to go with the crappy power supply theory. There
> are so many of them these days that have been showing their true colors
> thanks to newer, more power hungry tech. Because of the relatively low
> cost of power supplies these days, I tend to find it easier to replace
> the crappy power supply than test the entire thing and fix it.
> Occasionally, I will solder a fan in though.

Bryan and Aaron,

You each get an "A" on this test. I just replaced the power supply
(thanks very much, Steve) and everything is back running at full
throttle. It's going to be a pleasure sending Dad's computer back to him
without having had to touch his Win2K system. Of course, he *will* be
getting a CD/DVD+/-RW drive upgrade and an additional 256MB of RAM. Just
the kinds of toys a 91-year-old kid will appreciate.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **