Re: OGG

the complexity of the sound has to do with how many frequencies are
represented in the sample area, their pitch, the frequency information
from the previous sample area,  how much the different audio channels
differ (left to right),  etc...    quite a few things really

yes, the less complex areas are just as important, however less is
needed to reproduce them with a high degree of accuracy compared to
passages containing all the instruments going at once.

also all these codecs factor in the mechanics of human hearing.
things such as after the hit of a loud note or drum beat the ear is
"deaf" to certain things for a short period of time, so these can be
removed with no perceived loss of audio information. this would make
that short section after the "power beat" less complex than it would
have been before.

Casey