rivafb module

So, I am tweaking my new Fedora 3 installation on my laptop and I
downloaded nVidia's driver script, because the nvidia driver that comes
packaged with FC3 wasn't using direct rendering and GL apps were slow.
Anywho, during the installation of nVidia's driver, it warned me that my
system was set up to use the rivafb module and that that can cause some
serious conflicts. So, what is rivafb? How do I disable it? I have been
having a few weird problems where X will completely lock my system and
it might be that.

On that note, when you system is completely locked. Is there any safe
way to shut it down? I have been having to hard power it down when it
locks up. Is there any fancy super secret keyboard shortcut to safely
unmount the filesystems and reboot?

Thanks,
Ken