Re: Sendmail

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 01:26:26PM -0600, Ray Holtz wrote:
> How robust is Sendmail?  can it handle daily mail requirements for 500+
> employees?

It would handle it fine, but you'd be better off with Postfix for
various reasons (some have already been mentioned).

Sendmail or Postfix are only one piece of the puzzle though.  The
other big piece is the IMAP server.  Both Courier IMAP and Dovecot are
nice, but Cyrus IMAP might be a better choice in this case.

> Also, what is the Opensource replacement for MS Exchange?  I've heard it in
> the past but have forgotten.

There are a couple.  OpenGroupware (http://www.opengroupware.org/) is
probably the closest.  Kolab (http://kolab.kde.org/) is getting there.

There are also a *bunch* of web-based things that will do everything
Outlook will do, except they aren't Outlook.  (Some people care about
that, although I'm not sure why.)

> I'm helping a friend try to get his company to "upgrade" to some Linux
> servers

Feel free to have them contact us (sales@kspei.com) if they'd like
some help.  :-)