Re: Help with openoffice

JD>  Thanks so much for your help. I was not able to get OpenOffice
JD>  running on NetBSD. It seems that the rpm's the are using are too
JD>  old. So I am going to just use the Gnome office apps (Gnumeric,
JD>  Gimp etc) and the Ted *.rtf word processor.
JD>
JD>  FYI, FreeBSD uses RedHat 8 rpm's and NetBSD uses the older SuSE
JD>  7.3 rpms, to run in Linux compat mode.

Nope, too early to quit.  You haven't had enough fun yet.  ;-)

OOo is ported directly to FreeBSD 4.x and 5.2.  The download page is
http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/  How interchangable are ports
between FBSD, NBSD and OBSD?

You're telling us that the BSDs are able to work with packages
intended for various Linux distros.  In that case, I suggest that you
go to http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.0/index.html and download the
Linux installer.  It is not a distro-specific installer.  I'm running
Debian, and the generic installation was (is) trouble-free.