Re: Computer Stores in the St. Louis Metro East Area.

HC> ...AGP boards...have been known to become [sic] unseated.
SP> Make sure you use the retention clip...
Retention clip??? (Deer-caught-in-the-headlights-expression)

HC> ...increase in performance between an AGP card and a PCI
HC> card that are otherwise identical is not significant.
SP> I think you've been misled.
Oh! (he responds sheepishly.)

HC> I am not aware of any price differential between the two slots.
SP> Actually, AGP cards are significantly *less* expensive.
Oh! (heard this time in a barely audible voice.)

SP> Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd either go for a 32MB
SP> Radeon 7000 (which does have DVI and TV-out) for $40 or a nice 64MB
SP> Radeon 9100 for $75 (both AGP).  The 7000 is going to be fast
SP> enough to play games, and the 9100 is fast enough to play RTCW, ET,
SP> etc.

I am not a game player. But I was banging away last night on Textmaker
and Abiword 2.0, and I was typing ahead of the screen in boths apps.
This is not good.  I'll try Open Office Writer tonight, but based on
features, configurability, application launch time, and positon of my
cat atop the monitor, I'm leaning hard towards Textmaker as my weapon
of choice.  That was $50 WELL invested!

I toyed with the idea of purchasing one of Mr. Plextor's dvd players
simply for the thrill of learning how to make it all work.  (What WAS
the name of that Debian package that I installed?  It wasn't Ogle.
Xine, maybe?) Anywho, the software said that my box didn't have enough
umph. (MPLAYER! That was it!)  I don't know if the software was talking
about the cpu or the video card, but I'd be willing to bet it was
looking at the cpu.  Maybe I'll just move that project down the list.
(Lemme see here. Transfer my PE license to Illinois. Lose forty pounds.
Work through Basic Russian Book 2.  Damn! BRB1 took three years!!!
Ooooohhh... forgot about the LCD. That's a NICE project, although
Jackson's gonna have to find another warm spot for the winter.

Based on my previous volley back to Travis in which I mentioned that my
motherboard has only a 1X AGP, do y'all still recommend that I move
from PCI to AGP? It does mean having to recompile the kernel. ;-)

HC> As for SCSI cards, let's talk Adaptec 2906.  What's yer price?
SP> Too much.  Apparently we can get a 64-bit PCI LSI Logic
SP> 53c1010-based(U160) card for $50.
Allow me, please, a little time to do some homework on that card.