Re: asking for help

syibabie wrote:
> i just want to install linux in my pc.is there a way
> i can install linux in an already win 2000 installed
> pc with out the need to partion the hard disk?

If you are wanting a "dual boot" scenario, then you may want to obtain
Xandros 1.1 (the full "Deluxe" version). It comes with an XP partition
resizer precisely to solve this problem, and comes with Crossover Office
to help you transition to Linux, while playing nice in your Windows
neighborhood and printers. Contact me off-list, there is a LUG discount
available ($45 instead of $99).

If you do not want to repartition the hard disk, then you may want
to look at something like Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). Free and Open
Source. This is running the same GNU and OpenSource programs (grep, awk,
perl, etc. - even X11 and KDE/GNOME GUI apps) that you would use on Linux.

If you want a complete Linux hosted on Win2K, you are pretty much
interested in VMWare Workstation (not free, about $300).
  http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html
An entire "virtual" machine (hence the name, VMWare) boots and runs on
your Windows machine - just like it was another application. The two
"machines" think the other one is just another machine on the network, even
though they are both running on the same CPU and share the display.

Several distributions (RedHat and SuSE come to mind) support what is
called a "Partitionless" install. This basically uses your existing
Windows2K hard disk and installs the entire Linux system as a bunch of
files (or a single file) on your hard disk, and then sets up the bootloader
to boot the filesystem-within-a-file. It is still a "dual-boot" system,
but you can remove the Linux installation by deleting the file/s.
To Windows, they look like regular data files.

Mike