Re: asking for help

I'll leave the specifics of your question to those more knowledgable,
but I might suggest you could download and burn the knoppix cd.  It is
bootable and starts up a nice version of Linux with more than a few apps
available.  It doesn't touch your hard drive, so it is no risk and no
reconfiguration of your machine