Where did you start?

Hi all!  I'm a relative newbie to Linux (I've been playing
around/reading about it for almost a year now), and I know that many of
you have been working/playing with Linux for a while.   I was wondering
how you got your start, and what you used to better yourselves (besides
the jump-into-the-deep-end-and-try-to-swim method).  Funny stories,
anecdotes, and tales from the dark side would be much appreciated. (I
want to make sure that I'm not losing my mind :-)  Thanks!

Adam