Soundcard recs

I'm working on a project that if successful will require me to make some
suggested recommendations / configurations.  In particular, I'm in need of
a soundcard that performs on the level of the ESS1371 but has built in
midi support (the ESS1371 did not have general midi on board).  Cheap is
the key though.  Is the current cheap offering from Creative still a
rebranded ESS1371 type card or does anyone know if it has midi onboard?
Are there any other cards that are well supported under linux?  More
important, well supported in the kernel like the ESS1371?

As much as I'd like to spec the ESS1371 (it's can be found for cheap) I
think that this project will ultimately benefit from onboard midi.  I'm
not concerned about the quality of the midi instruments per se, I just
want them on the card.  I want cheap, these setups may be put into areas
with the potential for lightning strikes.  As such, cheaper is better.
And as much as ham radio ops hang onto old stuff like the Creative
Soundblaster 16 cards, I'd like to start with something reasonably modern
and progress from there.

TIA,

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon