Re: Gentoo: To mirror or not to mirror?

> But do they have /etc/rc?.d for the various runlevels?

I'll tell you when my lowly K6/200 finishes compiling all that crap.

> I'll freely admit that the BSD init scripts comment is based on what
> others have told me, not anything I've seen for myself.  I'd be happy
> to be wrong about it.

IIRC, the BSD init process doesn't have a runlevel concept *at all*.
i.e. there is no "telinit" or /etc/inittab to start/stop stuff in runlevels.

Solaris uses runlevels and has an /etc/init.d. But then they hardlink
everything so that if you do a typical rename abc to abc.old and then copy
in a new init script, all of the other runlevels are still hardlinked to abc.old.

chkconfig does help track init scripts to the right runlevel, but doesn't do
anything about dependencies, which is what Gooch is proposing with need/provide.

Sort of like a package dependency tree (RPM, deb, Makefile.PL, take your pick)
for init scripts.

Mike808/