Re: Gentoo: To mirror or not to mirror?

> The first problem I mentioned (lack of binaries) makes it impossible
> to support even one system, much less any larger number.

The question wasn't about how supportable it is. IMHO, reliance upon binaries
is *exactly* what makes binary RPM-based distributions like RH, MDK, SuSE,
etc. impossible to deliver high-value software, since they have to be generic
in order to run on as many not-the-hardware-you-have platforms as possible,
resulting in lowest-common-denominator packages.

The support issue is *your* priority imposed by your perspective.
I wasn't saying you're not entitled to your incorrect opinion that Gentoo
is a joke, either. I was simply saying that statements like the above
don't matter if system support isn't a priority for you, and that your
generalization should be taken with your particular perspective in mind
(i.e. third-party supportability for multiple systems is important). That
may not be the case for all readers.

> The second problem (BSD init scripts) makes it nearly impossible to
> build proper packages for things that need to start on boot.

The BSD people seem to have done OK with it.
So it can't possibly be *that* impossible.

And there are certainly problems with SysV/Linux-style init scripts too.
So that's a red herring. "Hello Crap? This is Vomit. You stink."

> > But, for my po' lil K6/200, I'm thinking it's the easiest of the
> > LFS-style projects.
>
> Which is just fine.  It is your right to have your own opinion, and I
> respect your right to be wrong.  ;-)

So if I'm wrong, what LFS-style project/distro _should_ I be using?

Mike808/