Re: KVM Switch

David Leathers wrote:
> Has anyone used a KVM switch to control Keyboard Mouse and Monitor
> between a Windows box and Linux?

Steve Reindl replied:
> Absolutely. The KVM should be OS independent. Fear not.
> It'll work right outta the box

Yup. Seconded.

<plug>
And Steve P. at http://www.kspei.com can get you a fine one at a good price.
And cables too. Don't forget about the cables. And get good ones too.
</plug>

Some cables are cheap for a reason. And informed vendor can get you good value.
<plug>Steve P. at KSPEI mentioned above is such a vendor</plug>

I'm using a Belkin Omniview E-series 4-port (avoid the 2-port models - no
expandability - like you're going to stop at two systems... :=) and StarTech
cables from Steve and it works fine at 1024x768. My setup ran around $100.

Some other features to consider are OSD (On-Screen Display), higher maximum
screen resolutions and refresh rates, PS/2 or USB KB/Mouse inputs, and if
you also want to switch audio as well. They all have keyboard-activated
switching (e.g. some arcane keystroke sequence like ScrollLock + ScrollLock +
Up/Dn) and should have manual switching (e.g. a button on the unit) as well.

Mike808/