Re: Monday's C'dale meeting topic

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 01:28:56PM -0600, fiaid@quasi-sane.com wrote:
> hahaha, you haven't read all the laws have you?  they are so vague that
> even using your computer at work can be considered a crime.

But, the deal is, you can't press criminal charges by suing someone.  It
just doesn't happen.  They'd have to call law enforcement and let them
take care of the criminal crap.

> this is easy as hell to do, you hire a "security guy" to come in for 2
> hors at $5k/hr.  companies have done this.

This is why you have a written agreement between yourself and the other
party that says something to the effect of, ``Hi.  I came to you telling
you that your network was insecure.  I told you everything that I found
out and even gave you the printed output of my utilities on paper.  If
you sign below, you may not sue me for causing damages or for hiring a
consultant for some outrageous sum of money to make sure I did not do
anything to your network and its related machines.''

> most companies wouldn't because they don't want to look bad to their stock
> holders, but the rest of them are evil.

Gee.  Appearance is everything, isn't it?

> yeah.  although, the FBI guys that i met were pretty funny.  they told me
> that maybe 5% of their people have a Clue.

Well, gee.  Think about that one.  Everyone and their damned uncle
watch those crime shows and want to get into the FBI.

.f