building rpms

ok i've been putting off learning to build rpms for to long now, but i've got to build this rpm and i can resist no longer

what i'm building is a kernel rpm for ltsp (to use a 6 in 1 card reader, only requires one option set in the kernel different than standard), now first let me see if i have straight what building an rpm is, rpm takes source and through a spec file patches the source to the changes needed and then compiles the source into a package, ?yes?, now my question is do i have to make all my changes with patch files through the spec file or can i just make my changes by hand (using makemenuconfig for the kernel as in this case) before i build the rpm (having rpm use my hand altered source for the package), i can see how using a patchfile system would make it easier to upgrade packages as new software rolled in but is it a requirement?

Bob T. Kat