Re: building rpms

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:39:14PM -0600, Bobby Castleberry wrote:
> rpm takes source and through a spec file patches the source to the
> changes needed and then compiles the source into a package, ?yes?,

More or less.

> now my question is do i have to make all my changes with patch files
> through the spec file or can i just make my changes by hand (using
> makemenuconfig for the kernel as in this case) before i build the rpm
> (having rpm use my hand altered source for the package), i can see how
> using a patchfile system would make it easier to upgrade packages as
> new software rolled in but is it a requirement?

It isn't a requirement, but if you don't make an rpm the right way
(using pristine sources), it almost completely defeats the purpose of
using rpm in the first place.

FWIW, I looked at the LTSP kernel rpm.  They build it from a tar file
that contains, get this, *binaries*.  And here I thought we were
working on a piece of open-source software...