    Date: Fri,  8 Nov 2002 09:57:24 -0600
    From: Aaron Cronkright <aaron@cronkright.com>
 Subject: Linking a directory
      To: silug-discuss@silug.org

Hello all,

I have run into a space problem on my linux box.  Here is the story:

We have a customer that sends us engineering documents via ftp.  I have given
them a shell account so that when they login, their ftp client is pointing at
their home directory, which is where they upload the files to.  This same home
directory is setup as a read-only samba share so that the users on the LAN with
winders can access the files via clicky-clicky.  As you can see by the output
of df --human:

/dev/sda5             372M  127M  226M  36% /
/dev/sda1              45M  6.0M   37M  14% /boot
/dev/sda3             2.0G  1.8G   81M  96% /home
none                   62M     0   61M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2             5.4G  2.5G  2.6G  49% /usr
/dev/sda6             251M  198M   40M  84% /var

my /home partition is 96% full.  However my /usr partition has plenty of space
to spare.  What I have done is created a directory under /usr and copied all of
the contents of the customer's home directory to it.  Example:  cp -
R /home/userdir/* /usr/ftp/userdir/

Now, my challenge is trying to provide a link in the /home directory to the new
directory such as:  ln -d /usr/ftp/userdir/ /home/userdir so I don't have to
configure 30+ workstations on the LAN to point at a new share.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron Cronkright
aaron@cronkright.com