Re: using parted

> What I need to do is use parted to shrink an existing primary partition

The man page for resize2fs mentions using fdisk for resizing partitions.

> If you know of some other tool that performs the same resizing function
> as parted, please advise.

Measuring in MB is useless. Regular IDE drives all use LBA which is 512byte
blocks (aka "sectors"). Get your partition table as measured in sectors.
Get familiar with doing LBA to CHS translations. Then you can't go wrong.
FDISK will complain if your partition boundaries are not on a cylinder
boundary, too.

You should adjust your partitions in even cylinder amounts - i.e. take
one cylinder away from one partition and add it to another.

You can only *ADD* onto the *END* of a partition if you want to preserve
the underlying filesystem.

Good luck. It might be easier to borrow a second drive for the machine
and tar the stuff off the main drive, install, and restore.

Part of my situation is that I have a second drive, but it's smaller than
what I'm trying to salvage from. And my superblocks are hosed. :=(
And all of the e2fs tools *assume* you have undamaged superblocks.
And since their location is directly related to the partition start block,
and since I can't recover that, I'm hosed and e2fsck and debugfs are useless.

Mike808/