Re: ANNOUNCE: HALF-TERABYTE for St. Louis Area LUGs and Open Source communities

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 10:20:43PM -0500, mike808 wrote:
> This will replace the current measly 90GB of storage KSPEI has provided up to
> now.

Hey now, that's just one filesystem.  :-)

/dev/sdb1             26351496  24080280    932604  97% /home/silug/ftp/mirrors
/dev/sdc2             88131580  83843948   4287632  96% /home/silug/ftp/mirrors/.1

There's also a little bit of stuff on /home, so total I think we have
close to 120GB devoted to mirrors and random open-source software at
the moment.  The new array will replace those two filesystems (and at
least some of the stuff on /home will move to it), so we end up with a
net gain of around 380GB, and on a nice fault-tolerant RAID instead of
the current stripe and single disks.

> My goal is $500. That's it. $1 a Gig. You can spare $1, surely?

I should note that if we come out a bit higher than that, it won't
hurt my feelings any.  Besides the extra $50 I need to spend on the
proper SCSI cable, I do have to mention that Kara and I spend a *lot*
of money on bandwidth every month...

The main goal here is to get Mike paid back though.

> P.S.: Other Open Source groups will be welcome to subsidize and request
> content to be mirrored that previously we could not support.

Although I have to point out that the mirrors do take quite a bit of
space, so I doubt we'll be able to get everything we'd like.  Also, it
takes quite a bit of time to keep all of the mirrors updated.  There
are always little things going wrong that need attention from an
admin (me, in other words).  Of course, right now the problem is
usually running out of disk space, which hopefully we won't be doing
every few days with this new array.

Anyway, preference will be given to requests for mirroring content
with rsync.  If there's no public rsync for a project, *I* certainly
don't want the extra headache.

That said, I *might* be willing to take volunteers for managing
requested content.  I guess we'll just have to see what everyone
wants.

Oh, and for the record, here's what we have now, in no particular
order (with current sizes):

    * Linux Documentation Project (515MB)
    * ftp.alsa-project.org (620MB)
    * CPAN (1.3GB)
    * ftp.debian.org (51GB)
    * ftp.kernel.org (5GB)
    * ftp.mozilla.org (3.6GB)
    * ftp.openoffice.org (1.3GB)
    * ftp.redhat.com (29GB)
    * ftp.ximian.com (12GB)
    * oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/ (2.6GB)
    * Light (2.7MB)
    * majordomo2 snapshots (197MB)
    * ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/poptop/ (74MB)
    * ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/user-mode-linux/ (229MB)
    * ftp.trolltech.com/pub/qt/ (827MB)
    * random stuff of mine (388MB)

Note that most, if not all, of those mirrors are partial mirrors.  In
most cases, I have everything people are likely to be interested in,
but there are a few mirrors that I'd like to expand.  (For example,
I'd like to include more than the last release or two of Red Hat.  It
would be nice to go back at least far enough to be able to use apt on
any 6.x or 7.x system.)

Some other things I'd like to add immediately:

    * ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/
    * Debian CD mirror
    * ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting.