ANNOUNCE: HALF-TERABYTE for St. Louis Area LUGs and Open Source communities

August 25, 2002

500GB for St. Louis Area LUGs and Open Source communities!

I am pleased to announce to you my support for the greater St. Louis area
Linux User Groups:

* SILUG - Southern Illinois Linux User Group
	ftp://ftp.silug.org/ and http://www.silug.org/

* LUCI - Linux Users of Central Illinois
	ftp://ftp.luci.org/ and http://www.luci.org/

* STLLUG - St. Louis Linux User Group
	ftp://ftp.stllinux.org/ and http://www.stllinux.org

and the larger Open Source Software community by providing their gracious
FTP repository bandwidth provider, K&S Enterprises (http://www.kspei.com),
with the co-location of *** 500GB *** of storage for these groups to mirror
Open Source operating systems, code repositories, and other Open Source
software.

Yes, you read that correctly. That's HALF A TERABYTE of storage. :=)
It is an MTI SCSI DAS array with 12 drives of 50GB each.
We plan to RAID-5 them with a hot spare. So, 10 X 50GB = 500GB!
This will replace the current measly 90GB of storage KSPEI has provided up to
now.

Unfortunately, at this time, I am unable to bear the entire cost of providing
such a resource alone. So I am "passing the hat" and asking your help in
making this resource permanently available to you through these communities.
I thought long an hard about this, before asking you here, but as I said, I
cannot bear this cost alone. I'd hate to sell the drives on eBay and shelve
this project due to lack of support. And when you see the price, I think
you'll agree this is a heck of a deal for the area LUGs and OS communities.

What I am asking of you, if you currently use or plan to use these mirrors,
know someobody that will, or just want to contribute, is that you help by
contributing to the PayPal account below. Any amount collected over and above
my expense for making this valuable resource will go directly to subsidizing
the bandwidth to keep these mirrors online.

My goal is $500. That's it. $1 a Gig. You can spare $1, surely?

You can contribute in $1 increments, with each dollar subsidizing 1GB of
storage. (Got an ISO for your favorite distrubution you want to see
provided?) Multiple contributions welcome, obviously.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=mike808%40users.sourceforge.net&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=1GB&amount=%241.00&no_shipping=1&return=http%3A//www.sluug.org/~mike808/thankyou.html&cancel_return=http%3A//www.sluug.org/~mike808/&cn=Special+Instructions+%28optional
- or -
http://tinyurl.com/15q7
(If your mail reader horks at the long URL above)

(I'll also accept cash at any meetings I am attending.)

P.S.: Other Open Source groups will be welcome to subsidize and request
content to be mirrored that previously we could not support. i.e. OpenBSD,
Debian, Gentoo, KDE, Mandrake Cooker, Freshrpms, APT repositories, ISOs, and
other mirrors as requested by members of the greater St. Louis area Open
Source communities. Your support can make these available from a closer local
source. Please contact me (mike808@sluug.org) for details.

Questions, Flames, Comments, etc. - Please respond to me off-list.

Mike808/
--
() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!