Re: DIVX & Circut City

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:01:03AM -0500 or thereabouts, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> Mark said:
> > DIVIX was the competing standard for DVDs, much like Beta was the
> > competing standard to VHS.  Circuit City was leading the charge at one
> > time and very reluctenly gave it up.
>
> Well, there's a bit more too it than that...  DivX players would play
> regular DVDs, but they also played these encrypted DVDs that you had
> to pay to watch.  In other words, they could give you the DVD, but it
> didn't do you any good without calling in to "unlock" it.
>
> It was a really dumb idea, but I'm sure you can see where the movie
> companies just loved it...

I remember reading an article that Circuit City dropped this.  As far as I
know, it is no longer being sold.  This happened several months ago.  There
was a big campaign on the net for this ripoff, and everyone was rejoycing
when the announcement was made to discontinue it.
--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought:
Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.