Re: DIVX & Circut City

Mark said:
> DIVIX was the competing standard for DVDs, much like Beta was the
> competing standard to VHS.  Circuit City was leading the charge at one
> time and very reluctenly gave it up.

Well, there's a bit more too it than that...  DivX players would play
regular DVDs, but they also played these encrypted DVDs that you had
to pay to watch.  In other words, they could give you the DVD, but it
didn't do you any good without calling in to "unlock" it.

It was a really dumb idea, but I'm sure you can see where the movie
companies just loved it...