Re: silug: IP address?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 04:39:29PM -0600, bentley_rhodes wrote:
>      Windows. Why? Mozilla doesn't have ActiveX support, and damned if
>      i (The Ignorant Little Linux User) know how to make it. I've tried

It's Linux that doesn't have ActiveX support.  In reality, ActiveX is
to Java applets as applications built with MFC/C++ are to applications
built with Java.  ActiveX controls are pretty much just native Windows
apps in a byte-size (laugh, it's funny) chewy morsel.

>    * get networking to work with Linux to Linux, and or Linux to
>      Windows, and by networking i mean:
>          o filesharing
>          o sharing the IP or ISP (routing)

filesharing:
    * In terms of going from Linux to Linux, use NFS whenever
      feasible.  You're going to want to make sure, however, that you use
      NFS only on networks you know are trustworthy.  Id est, your LAN.
    * In terms of going from Linux to traditional UNIX, see above.
    * In terms of going from Linux to Windows, use Samba.

sharing the IP or ISP (routing):
    * You're going to probably want to use Steve's genfw or the
      Shoreline Firewall to accomplish this.  They both do firewalling
      and NAT, which is probably what you want.

>    * making a Linux Router box / NATter thing. i might even want to try
>      messing with GNU's Zebra (http://www.zebra.org).

You're mixing up routing notions, methinks.  Zebra is more for true
site-to-site links where one side has a subnet delegation from another
side and whatnot.

If not, you might want to go ahead and play with Quagga while you're
at it.

>    * making my very own Linux Users Group right here in Cape Girardeau,
>      Mo (one day, one year). Heck i might even call it 'The Ignorant
>      Little Linux User's Group of Cape Girardeau, Mo.' Or (dare i say
>      it), Missouri's own TILLUG of CG.M (siccum). hey i think it has a
>      nice ring to it!

voidwhereprohibitednotvalidinpuertoricoortheunitedstatesvirginislandsnopurchasenecessaryseeclerkfordetailsdonationsnottaxdeductable

Read the fine print :)

>    * taking a Linux User's course or some type of computer programming
>      course or something that would help me learn the system.

Computer programming courses these days focus more on Windows.
Though, the CS 1xx and 2xx courses up at UIUC do have their students
use Emacs on Solaris boxes, so hey, you might be lucky.

> Steven or Bryan gave me some pointers on NAT configuration, but after i
> typed it all in i'm not sure if it works or not. or if i typed it in
> right, or if i had a cable crossed. i bought some cards (six of them)
> from a person on ebay, they are 3com's 3c905's and i /think/ they work.

Those 3c905's should work fine using the 3c59x driver.  Been that way
since the 2.2 days.

> i've plugged my card in (linksys or nVidia's nforce ethernet card) and
> the lights come on. But those are plugged into the aDSL modem. The 3com

This is usually the hard part.  Some of the really popular
manufacturers end up having obscure chipsets for their NICs or
whatever, or they end up putting in some sort of firewalling cruft in
their product that doesn't play well with Linux or whatever.

I'm glad this works.

> one is plugged (through a long cable) into the windows computer. but i
> do not see those lights come on when everything is plugged in. even when

Protip: Have you checked to see that the cable you're using is a
crossover cable?  That is, do you know that the TX and RX lines are
flipped going from one end to the other?

If not, that might be your problem.  If so, I'm afraid the cards are
either some bastard breed never seen before by the kernel authors
(unlikely) or that they're bad.

--
Nathaniel Reindl

    "Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt."
       (The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.)
			-- Ludwig Wittgenstein