Re: silug: BitTorrent

On Monday, Dec 27, 2004, at 17:49 US/Central, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> i have some information on BitTorrent, but when i tried to install it
> from yum, it doesn't make much sense to me.  so i removed it!  then i
> tried untarring the tar file i downloaded from somewhere, and it uses
> a lot of python, which i'm pretty sure my system has, but i'm ignorant
> as to how i should set it up.  anyone have any experience at it?

Yup.  The cwelug participates in a number of BT swarms.  The cwelug
runs its own tracker for those few packages that don't have trackers
(which is becoming rare.):

   http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Downloads
   http://www.cwelug.org:6969/

If all you want to do is download a file via bittorrent (say Knoppix
v3.7), then type this:

$ btdownloadcurses.py --max_upload_rate 350 \
   --url
http://www.cwelug.org/~rwcitek/knoppix/3.7/KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-
EN.torrent

That will start the BT client on your machine and begin downloading
(and uploading to others) the ISO for Knoppix 3.7.

If you wish to setup a tracker to share out your own files, here are my
notes for setting one up on Fedora Core 1:

   http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?BTonRHFC1

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent