Re: silug: IP address?

Robert Citek wrote:

> On Saturday, Dec 25, 2004, at 19:24 US/Central, bentley.rhodes wrote:
>
>> i cannot find my IP address. i was going to try putting it under
>> windows, and i can't find it. Where do i find this or how do i type
>> it into the terminal?
>

> If you have your own LAN, you can assign any IP you want to your
> computer. However, as soon as you connect your machine to the
> Internet, it is usually your ISP which assigns an IP address to you.
>
> That said, what are you trying to do?

k .. i am trying (as of now), to get in the following order but not
necassarily in order:

    * get Linux working (everything works except for my UTEST browser
      that i use through SEMO University here in Cape Girardeau, Mo. if
      that would work i could use it to take my tests online instead of
      Windows. Why? Mozilla doesn't have ActiveX support, and damned if
      i (The Ignorant Little Linux User) know how to make it. I've tried
      shaking the box mind you, and it didn't work. Basically Linux
      works, i have learned how to do some things with or as ROOT, how
      to tar stuff, reassign ownership for files from a command prompt/
      terminal, and make a shell script to tar and then reassign the
      files to a user.
    * get networking to work with Linux to Linux, and or Linux to
      Windows, and by networking i mean:
          o filesharing
          o sharing the IP or ISP (routing)
    * making a Linux Router box / NATter thing. i might even want to try
      messing with GNU's Zebra (http://www.zebra.org).
    * making my very own Linux Users Group right here in Cape Girardeau,
      Mo (one day, one year). Heck i might even call it 'The Ignorant
      Little Linux User's Group of Cape Girardeau, Mo.' Or (dare i say
      it), Missouri's own TILLUG of CG.M (siccum). hey i think it has a
      nice ring to it!
    * taking a Linux User's course or some type of computer programming
      course or something that would help me learn the system.

Steven or Bryan gave me some pointers on NAT configuration, but after i
typed it all in i'm not sure if it works or not. or if i typed it in
right, or if i had a cable crossed. i bought some cards (six of them)
from a person on ebay, they are 3com's 3c905's and i /think/ they work.
i've plugged my card in (linksys or nVidia's nforce ethernet card) and
the lights come on. But those are plugged into the aDSL modem. The 3com
one is plugged (through a long cable) into the windows computer. but i
do not see those lights come on when everything is plugged in. even when
i activate the card under the 'network' thing with root, or root
privileges. i'm thinking i might have to come up to some of the meetings
and figure what the heck is going on with the thing by watching
experienced people do stuff.

--
Bentley Rhodes
1435 Luce St.