Re: A(uto)mounting we shall try to go... syntax not right

> It does, but there's another thing you should probably be aware of: a
> credentials file.
>
> If you peruse the smbmount(8) manpage, you'll find all of the
> options that the
> smbfs filesystem type supports.  It also speaks of protecting passwords.
>
> So, instead of having username=bob,password=b4rk3r, you'd have
> credentials=/etc/smb/mnt.r or something similar.  The file would contain:
>
>     username = bob
>     password = b4rk3r

Hey! That was a piece of cake. Interesting how the icons on the desktop
disappeared, though. I have two shared mounted (one for data files and one
for music files). I used to have two icons on the desktop for these
'drives' - after changing to a credential file.

> Moreover, you can use chmod to tweak the permissions and make it
> only readable
> by root, since this is what init runs as.  Doing this protects it
> from prying
> eyes to some extent; likewise, it also keeps your password quasi-secure.

Yup, makes sense, but that's for tomorrow. I'm going to write this up and
call it a night.

Thanks, Nate!

Whil