Re: A(uto)mounting we shall try to go... syntax not right

Quoting Whil Hentzen <whil@hentzenwerke.com>:

> Does that password really have to be stored in a well known file in clear
> text? Blech!

It does, but there's another thing you should probably be aware of: a
credentials file.

If you peruse the smbmount(8) manpage, you'll find all of the options that the
smbfs filesystem type supports.  It also speaks of protecting passwords.

So, instead of having username=bob,password=b4rk3r, you'd have
credentials=/etc/smb/mnt.r or something similar.  The file would contain:

    username = bob
    password = b4rk3r

Moreover, you can use chmod to tweak the permissions and make it only readable
by root, since this is what init runs as.  Doing this protects it from prying
eyes to some extent; likewise, it also keeps your password quasi-secure.

I'm really waiting for them to accept DES or 3DES passwords, though.  Stupid
export regulations (*grumble*)

--
Nate Reindl, silug.org's very own anarchist
"the US isn't a capitalistic country though.. we're a dictatorship. We're