Mouse setting not 'sticking' between logons

Hey folks,

Red Hat 8.0.

I tweaked my mouse resolution setting in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config like
so:

Section "InputDevice"
Option "Resolution" "10"

I changed the "10" to "25" in order to get the mouse to move further on the
screen with just a slight flick of my wrist. After I save the file, nothing
happens. Even if I logout and log back in, no effect. But if I go into
Systems Settings | Mouse, enter my password for root, and then click on OK,
the setting 'takes' and the increased mouse resolution takes effect.

If I log off and then log back on, the finer resolution has disappeared and
I have to go back into Systems Settings | Mouse and do the same thing again.
Note that the Resolution setting in XF86Config is STILL 25 - it just doesn't
appear to 'take' until I go into the mouse setting applet.

It feels like XF86Config isn't taking effect until the mouse applet is run,
but that seems silly. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Whil